The Dirty Half Dozen

The Dirty Half Dozen

Friday, September 26, 2008

Say what?

Emma hit a childhood milestone this month.  She lost a tooth. It didn't come out the conventional way (loose for a few weeks, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, anticipation and the final pull). No, she got hit in the face by her soccer coach with the ball. He's got quite a kick. So after the bloody nose and lip calmed down, she was fine for a couple of days and then when she was playing with Asher, it fell out. Just like that. She panicked and thought she swallowed it for a minute until Paul found it in the carpet and then it was sheer joy! Never was a child more excited than she. You see, none of my kids lose their teeth before six and since they have summer birthdays, no one has been able to get their name on the kindergarten tooth chart until now. Emma is also a summer baby and had resigned herself to the fact that her name would not be on that chart. Oh, how she longed, and finally it was going to happen. She was so excited for school on Monday and when she went and told her teacher, her teacher told her that she just had a space in her teeth and she didn't really lose a tooth. Granted, Emma has really tight teeth and the space IS really small, but come on. Her little heart was just broken. I had to make a slightly less than comfortable call to her teacher and clear things up and now her name is on that chart, but it will always be tainted. When in doubt, always humor the five year old!

5 comments:

runningfan said...

Very cute. Love the smile....

The Rocking Radmalls said...

How dare she question it? Grrrrr. I'll bet your claws came out on that one! :) Congrats, Emma! We know you're a big kid! We would have gladly put your name on the Radmall tooth list!

gantrieb said...

WHAATT??!!! I can't believe that, I bet her spirits were seriously shot down. Good for you setting her teacher straight. The tooth list is like the claim to fame for kids in kindergarten. Give her congrats from us!

Anonymous said...

My 5 year old lost her first tooth this weekend too. Not is such a traumatic way, but she too was way excited. But we don't have a tooth chart at our school. She just got a sticker from her teacher. Kind of lame I think.

Ward's Corner said...

I never knew kids got so excited about losing their first tooth. Now I can prepare for it!!!