When we put Asher in his car seat to bring him home from the hospital, we knew things were going to be rough. He screamed the whole way home. Things did not get better. What better time to have a car-hating baby than when you have older kids involved in school and activities that need to be shuttled around constantly? So we have listened to his screaming for two years. I am not exaggerating. You can ask anyone who's been in the car with him for more than 5 minutes and they will back me up.
Well, he has learned to talk over the past few months and I thought this would help with our car issues. I was so wrong. This was our conversation in the car today while taking Emma to and from preschool.
Ash: mom
Me: what?
Ash: bue tar (blue car)
Me: yeah, you have your blue car
Ash: mom
Me: what?
Ash: popo tar (purple car)
Me: Yeah, you have your purple car too.
(repeat exact sequence for about ten minutes)
Ash: crashing cars together, one falls on the floor, out of my reach.
Ash: MOOOOMOOOOOOOOM!
Me: Whaatt?
Ash: POPO TAR, MINE, PEAS (please)!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: I can't reach it, I'll get it when we stop.
Ash: MOOOOOMOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This continues with varied inflections and volume levels (loud and louder) until we get to Murray.
We drop Emma off at preschool then he cries the whole way to Petco-no intelligible words to record here.
We proceed to Costco while Asher eats dry fruit loops and we have peace for five minutes.
He is mildly pleasant while we drive the five minutes from Costco back to the preschool.
We pick Emma up and load back up in the car.
Ash: mom
Me:what?
Ash:mmmmmm(the sounds he makes when he's hungry and wants to eat).
Me: do you want a snack?
Ash: huh-huh(the closest thing we have to agreement)
Me: do you want a fruit snack?
Ash: no
Me: do you want pretzels?
Ash: no
Me: do you want a granola bar?
Ash: no
Me: do you want an oatmeal bar?
Ash: no
Me: do you want a roll?
Ash: no
After listing off all the items in our portable pantry/diaper bag to no avail, our conversation continues:
Me: that's all we have
Ash: cheese
Me: We don't have cheese in the car. I can get you some at home.
Ash: mom
Me: WHAT!
Ash: CHEEEEEESE!
Me: we don't have any
Ash: mom
Me: what?(in a somewhat irritated voice)
Ash: cheese
(repeat cheese sequence for about fifteen minutes)
Last ten minutes of ride Asher falls asleep. I think, "Great, if I'm quiet, I can transfer him to his bed." I get him to bed with his tee tee (blanket) and I'm shutting the door and I hear, "Cheese." After I stuff him with five sticks of cheese, I hope he'll settle down and have a nap, but no it seems as though the cheese has instilled in him a renewed source of energy and he is good to go.
I now have pounding headache and I really don't need to read back very far to figure out why.
5 comments:
I'm still laughing. I can vouch for you and so can my mom. My mom said that she didn't no a baby could go on for so long, which is saying something since she had ten. It was a fun trip in spite of baby Asher. We all still talk about it.
OH, man, I'm laughing to myself. This doesn't seem like a stage. :)
Oh, Jen!!!
I can definitely back you up on the screaming Asher. I have yet to talk to you while you're in the van when I haven't heard him scream. If my memory serves me, it's always been that way with him. The flip side of the coin is that handsome-devil-of-a-grin. I mean, seriously. So cute!!! And the "huh-huh" how do you not just squeeze him all day? ......he's a lady-killer, this one.
oh Asher... what a cute lil punk he is :)
I can totally relate, but my talker is 6!
Post a Comment