The Dirty Half Dozen

The Dirty Half Dozen

Friday, January 7, 2011

P.S.

As if the last post weren't long enough, I actually forgot a few details Emma might find interesting in the future. 

1-She was very nervous about a loose tooth that she had. She was afraid they would knock it out and it would fall down her throat and be gone forever. Oddly enough, the nurse called the day before and asked(among other questions) if she had any loose teeth.  She's 7 so the odds were fairly high. They simply pulled the tooth after she was under but before they started the surgery. Easy as pie!

2-We forgot to ask before hand if we could have the tonsils and adenoids. When we asked the nurse and doctor in recovery they said no can do. No one was willing to go through the bio hazard bin. Go figure. Someone was really wanting to make slides for his histology course. Bummer.

3-Even bigger bummer was when the Dr. told us her tonsils were covered in concretions. He said they usually find that just in adults who have had years and years of chronic tonsillitis. Those would have made great slides. He also said her adenoids were a size 3+ on a scale of 1-4. She should definitely breathe easier now. Poor girl!

4-There was a boy on the other side of the curtain from her in recovery who was hysterical. It was so distracting that I was tempted to ask the nurse to move him. I think it really upset Emma, but he quickly left. The patient that replaced him was a 70's-ish woman who had foot surgery. We found it amusing that our nurse spoke to a 7 year old and a 70 year in the exact same manner.  Honey, Darling, baby voice, etc.

1 comment:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Oh my! What an experience. And I completely understand the "tooth" thing...Felicity actually did swallow a tooth once...my fault though. Love the update and pictures and all the posts I have missed in my blog slacking...Your family is beautiful and I can't believe how fast they grow!