The Dirty Half Dozen

The Dirty Half Dozen

Friday, January 7, 2011

A little less Emma

Emma lost just a little bit of herself today. But only the part that defined her as a sickly little girl who missed school frequently and made us nervous to breathe on her if we had the slightest indication of a cold. She has battled constant strep infections, pneumonia, bronchitis and tonsillitis for the past few years and we decided enough was enough. She had her tonsils and adenoids removed this morning and although she was extremely nervous, she was remarkably brave.
We headed to the Central Utah surgical center at 6:15 this morning for our 7:45 surgical appointment with Dr. Denys. While we were not impressed with the facilities(the waiting area smelled like a casino-and yes, I understand smokers need medical procedures too. It's just not a smell you want to associate with a sterile environment) the staff was wonderful. 

She was totally unimpressed with the cap and gown situation, but seemed a little appeased by the little lion they gave her.

A quick hug from a very tired and drowsy looking mom and off she went.

About 45 minutes later they called us back to the recovery area where she was waking up rather restlessly. She was peaceful one moment...
and then terrified and trashing about the next. I tried to explain to the nurses that she probably wasn't in pain, but that that is how I wake up from anesthesia as well. They injected something into her IV and when I asked them what they injected, they replied, "morphine" and my heart skipped a beat as I explained to them how deathly allergic to morphine I am.  They promptly administered Zofran to try and combat the impending nausea. 

We took turns comforting her.

And we even got her to eat a popsicle. After this she got ghostly white and refused to eat anymore. The nurse tried to get her to eat jello and pudding, but Emma took a couple of bites and refused any more. They tried a second dose of Zofran and when that didn't work, they gave her a phenergan suppository(which she was just thrilled about) and after all that, she just threw everything up anyway. Then, she was finally able to get some rest and keep her oral medication down long enough to be sent home. 


We left around 11:30, which was about 2 hours longer than they thought she would be there, but she was just glad to be home. She slept on the couch and my mom stayed with her while I ran to the pharmacy. We went to a pharmacy in Saratoga Springs because they make lidocaine lollipops and when I got there they informed me that since it was a special compound, they needed 24 hours notice and I informed them that nobody told me that, otherwise I would have saved the trip and gone to the pharmacy by my house. All the while, Eli is wreaking havoc on the entire place because I had to take him in with me because of their lack of a drive through. Asher is on the other side of the pharmacy yelling to me about the havoc wreaker and to make things even sweeter, insurance doesn't cover these precious little suckers and they are $10 a piece. The script was written for 5. At this point, they are taking pity on me and say they can have them done by 5 and deliver them to my house. I'm feeling kind of bad and then I realize for $50 of suckers, "ya, they can deliver them to my house!" Upon delivery the professor weighs them(because that's what professors do) and figures out that they are running at 547.00 per lb. Now that's a pricey dum dum! I then got a lecture about just what a sucker I am and why didn't I just buy a bottle of chloraseptic and call it a day. "Principle" I tell him. I drove clear out to that stinkin' pharmacy for those suckers and I was not leaving without them. 
You can view said lollipop here.

4 comments:

runningfan said...

Sounds like our surgery was a breeze compared to yours! I'm glad she made it through. Good luck with the recovery.

Sandy said...

What a day! I'm so happy Emma is home in your care now! :) Ridiculous price for the 'lollipops' though... I hope they helped!

Deanna said...

Way to go Emma! Bless her little heart. Hopefully she will not get sick so often now...

Hilary said...

Highway Robbery!