The Dirty Half Dozen

The Dirty Half Dozen

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Little Princess No More

Last week Claire, Emma and I saw a commercial for a Snow White barbie. I commented on how sad it was that no one was going to be asking for that particular toy this year for Christmas. Claire said she still liked barbies, but not princesses. A very sad revelation since she had spent a better portion of her early years watching Sleeping Beauty over and over and over again. Then Emma said in her sweetest, most serious and lispy 6 year old voice, "I would ask for it mom...but I HATE it. It's just that I'm not a girly-girl. I'm a tomboy." Claire piped in, "You mean a tomgirl." Emma, "No, a tomboy." Claire, "but you're a girl." I had to interject and explain to Claire that while her terminology did make sense, the term was indeed "tomboy."

Emma never did want to watch Sleeping Beauty. I was really pushing my luck with this costume choice, but she was only two and still very complying. She will not be a princess this year, but her costume will involve fake blood. Just in case you were wondering...and I know you were.


1 comment:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Just to get my way...the rule is, every other Halloween, we do a family theme. I mean, but I still want to dress up like fairies and princesses. And my kids, well, this year there was cooperation.

One nice thing is, my Felicity is a girly-girl. She still plays with dolls and Barbies, and Littlest Pet Shop...And she is almost 11. I will cry the day she decides that she is too cool to run away into the world of her own making. A world that only exists in her own imagination.

Can't wait to see photos of your family. And especially your little tomboy.