**Warning: graphic content**
There are some darling boys in Asher's preschool class that we carpool with and do play dates with after school. One of these play dates just happened to be "all fun and games until someone gets hurt." Unfortunately that someone was Asher. My friend called me about an hour into their playing and told me that Asher had hit his head and it was most likely going to need stitches. I was there in about two minutes where I was greeted by the other boys running out and exclaiming, "There's blood everywhere!" Lovely. Surprisingly, Asher wasn't even crying. My friend said the boys were playing downstairs and Asher simply came upstairs and told her he was bleeding. He was just excited that he found a lego Indiana Jones and they said he could keep it. He had previously lost about three of them.
I took him home and assessed the situation. It was definitely deep and probably needed stitches, but Eli was about 30 minutes into his usual 2-3 hour nap and I desperately needed him to sleep so he would be decent at my cousins wedding reception later that night. Consequently my mom was at the actual wedding and couldn't sit with Eli. I called the doctors office and they didn't actually have a doctor in, just a PA and I wasn't really comfortable with him stitching up my child's face so they told me to go to the ER. Paul couldn't leave a meeting he was in and I really didn't want to wake Eli up, so I took my chances and called a friend in our ward who's husband is an ER doctor. When she had a baby recently I sewed a car seat cover and tent and blanket for her so I didn't feel too bad asking her husband to sew my child back together.
As luck would have it, he was home and had everything he needed with him. He came to the house, Asher lied down on the couch and without a tear being shed, he got seven stitches. He was so brave and so proud of himself. When it was all done and Eli woke up, I took him to Target to pick out a lego set. He was on cloud nine!
He wanted me to take pictures so the girls could see it before the stitches(they were at school during the incident.)
Even moving the hair caused it to start bleeding again.
I got him all cleaned up so our neighbor could stitch him. He was not thrilled with this.
The finished product. I didn't get any pictures of him actually getting the stitches because I had to play nurse instead of mom. Ironically the suture he had was the exact color and texture of Asher's hair making the procedure a little tricky. I held his hair back and shined a flashlight on it so he could see it better. It was like we were transported back into the days of doctors making house calls. A practice that definitely needs to be reinstated!
5 comments:
Ugh! I'm just waiting for that to happen at my house. Hope he's feeling well still! Lucky to have a doctor nearby, for sure!
I'm glad to read the details of the story...but poor Asher! I'm glad you had an "easy" solution close by!
He has along way to go to catch up with his dad's many "dings, scrapes, cuts and broken bones", but he is starting earlier. So ther is time... What a brave boy! Good lookin' too. Papa
Oh man, that looks nasty. Can't believe he wasn't crying. Paige cut her head almost exactly like that last year and the doctor put 3 staples in. Grosses me out totally!! Glad he was so brave.
that is so funny! we had a similar experience with G cutting his head open on a merry go round. we took him to our friend's house who is also an er doc and he had the glue, i guess that's the end of the similarities. it took me and cor both to hold him down- while he kicked and screamed like a maniac, while he GLUED his head together. what a brave little guy you've got.
Post a Comment